29 Jul 2007

Amy Bennett

Waiting, oil on panel, 16 x 30 inches

From Now On, oil on panel, 13 x 13 inches

We Can Never Go Home Again, oil on panel, 22 x 36 inches

Sleeping Separately, oil on panel, 20 x 20 inches

Someday You'll Long for This, oil on canvas, 40 x 60 inches
.
Good at Parties, oil on canvas, 36 x 48" 2003

I really am amazed when I look at Amy Bennett's works. The care and attention given to tiny, almost insignificant details is incredible. And I find myself thinking that I must be some sort of super-viewer, an uber-voyeur. Better yet, I think this is the birds-eye view that only a god who peers down from a hidden vantage point on Mount Olympus can see. They are there and observe Leisurely the lives of the mortals.

The painterly observation takes in everything with a non-critical eye, and presents it all to us, the regular viewers. It is us who can make judgments, if we feel like it. The artist just loves what she sees and, and loves us too, I think, since she lets us think as we see fit about what we see and what we want to see. (Mig)

No comments: